Sunday, 31 January 2010
Recessionistas, if you after a bit of love in a bun, Gourmet Burger Kitchen are offering 2 burgers/salads & fries for only £12. Definately a pre-cinema or gourmet-take-out date don't you think? To get hold of the e-voucher, you'll need to join the GBK gang HERE and your voucher will drop right into your virtual mailbox.
Validity: Sundays-Thursdays 31 January - 28 February. 1 voucher per 2 people.
Venues: Nationwide - including take-away (yay!)
Thursday, 21 January 2010
It's back but for two weekends only!!! ASK's weekend set menu offering diners a 3 course meal at a recession-busting £12!!! Doesn't it look tasty?! Now I gotta love this one because I've had no time to do ANYTHING after work let alone take advantage of my new year restaurant deals which don't always include Friday's or Saturdays!
If these recessionista savvy deals were not enough to tempt you (which they should be!), Wahanda will be donating £1 from each Mobdeal sale to charity:water which provides clean and safe water to communities that need it!! Even more incentive to purchase!
Monday, 18 January 2010
Thanks to my girl over at Sack The Stylist for bringing this one to my attention!
TOMORROW (Tuesday 19th January) is the Bounce JUMBLIST MASSIVE. London's biggest charity jumble sale and music MASH UP! Wooooiiiiii! What will they be selling I hear you cry... well how about brand new Urban Outfitter garments from crazy thick knits, hoodies, gloves, scarves you name it all for the brrrr cold outside (samples) or even get hold of some bikinis and shorts (end of season) all BRAND NEW stock! There will be other high street clothes to get your hands on and of course 2nd hand goods. Not just clothing, there will be accessories, bric and brac, CDs, shoes and books!!! Waaaaahhhhh! Oh and the BEST BIT? Errrr there are NO PRICES so YOU decide how much you want to buy something for.... errr hello could this get any better??? Oh actually how about live music and DJ's from Warrior One and Rhys Adams, a bar selling all types of delicious refreshments AND the fact that all proceeds go towards Bounce fun projects for kids?!
FREE ENTRY recessionistas! What's your excuse??
Date: Tuesday 19 January
Venue: The Phoenix (downstairs) 37 Cavendish Square - 2 mins from Oxford Circus, just turn right off Oxford Street after H&M and before Zara.
For more information check out the Bounce blog HERE
See y'all there! x Mets Thrifty x
Friday, 15 January 2010
Courtesy of my girl over at Sack the Stylist, top fashionista/recessionista tip-off is the Hermes Sample Sale! (by the way you really need to follow my girl's blog!) Last day is SATURDAY 16 JANUARY so either get there early to get the best picks of what is remaining OR get there later in the afternoon where they'll slash prices to get rid of everything. Personally I prefer to go later in the afternoon. Yeh it's a bit of a mess and you'll find it hard to find your size but last year I went to the Reiss Sample Sale on the last day and bought a gorgeous gold sporty luxe jacket which got slashed to only £35 as I was searching for my size!!!!
Date: Saturday 16th January
Time: 10am - 6pm
Venue: The Music Room, 26 South Molten Lane, W1
"... excape to an enchanted evening of frozen fairy tales, celebrity DJs guests, and a scattering of top UK designers strutting their stuff at a central London location as Vauxhaull Motors brings you Vauxhall Ice Skate"
Paloma Faith, Coco Sumner and HEADLINER Mr Hudson will be providing the choooons... Ohhh I can't wait to get my skates on this sounds soooo fun!!!!! I haven't managed to get the time to visit any of the outdoor skating rinks in London this year so this will be perfect! There are very few tickets remaining so get in there quick!!!! Visit the link HERE and sign up ASAP!!
Follow Vauxhall Ice Skate on Twitter for the latest and whilst you're there don't forget to Follow Me!
Date: Saturday 15th January
Time: 11am- 5pm
Venue: Brixton Village, Atlantic Road, Brixton
For a while now I have been meaning to head down to Bixton Village but the snow has kept me hibernating indoors... that is, until now! I'll be flying the flag for South London this Saturday (tomorrow!) at Brixton Village for it's A Tasty January event. With food tastings, pop-up one day restaurants, restaurant openings, pop-up theatre festival and children's cooking competitions this will be lovely day out for the whole family with a fantastic community feel. I can't wait to get my food/drink and cake on! And if it snows I'm still gonna make it, nothing will keep me away this time (duh food is involved! that's the monster inside of me)
My top 3 highlights that I'm uber-excited about:
- Brixton Cornercopia: FREE foodie and drinks tasting galore (you know that this will be my station lol) including 'hot cider punch, spicy harria soup, a slab of Ian's grandiose apple pork pie and some spanakopita'. I'm interested in tasting Cornercopia's infamous plantain chutnye. I LOVE fried plantain but will this chutney be as nice?? Hmmm... Recipe-sharing will be rife so there is no reason not to practice your cooking when you get home... I need to up my game in the domestic goddess stakes!
- Etta's Seafood Restaurant: New seafood restaurant opening. You know I'm a prawn fiend and I love fish, so much healthier for you! I'm up for some prawns and snapper with fiery Carribean twist!!
- Olive Tree: Morrocan and Mediterranean restaurant opening. I love tagine lamb - clearly one of the most tastiest and succulent ways to eat lamb! And cous cous when cooked perfect is so wholesome. Olive Tree has got strong morals and ethics behind it and was set up by to create a ommunity space and offer young people an alternative to extremism - LOVE IT!
This is no way a comprehensive list of what will be happening on the day, there's just too much good stuff for me to put into my tiny blog! There are also non-food events going on at Brixton Village including exhibitions and the opportunity to star in your very own remake of an 80's movie!! For full details of the event and how to get there visit the Facebook event page HERE
What is Brixton Village all about? SpaceMakers has basically transformed the abandoned and derelict Granville arcade into a buzzing indoor market with vintage stores, old fashioned sweet stores, pop-up textile stores, galleries, art/exhibition spaces,Okido Doodle Shop and not to mention stalls of excellent quality local produce. Learn more about the project HERE and follow Spacemakers on Twitter to stay up to date!
Look forward to bumping into you all! X Mets Thrifty X
Thursday, 14 January 2010
What really stands out however is that despite the destruction and devastation, the Haitians live in hope; they are not angry people, they are not even devastated, they are not shouting or screaming and moaning... they are grateful and appreciative of their lives - despite losing their houses and having injuries, not everyone made it and they are fully aware of this.
I think that's something that everyone needs to take away with them. Whenever we feel that our lives are really bad and we can't afford that little luxury or it's snowing and we're p*ssed off because it's disrupting our social lives and our work or anything of that kind, we all need to wake up and be aware that there is ALWAYS, without fail, someone is worse off than we are.
Please donate if you are able via the following charitable organisations:
Monday, 11 January 2010
Head down to C73 the creative space in Camden this Wednesday where CutShuffleDeal are hosting a FREE Bag Making Workshop with Friends of the Earth THIS Wednesday as part of it's pop-up clothing exchange (click HERE for more info on the clothing exchange). Everyone is welcome and I'm pretty sure this will be a very interesting workshop where you'll come away having learnt how to make a lovely bag (no doubt with recycled materials or some sort of sustainability involved)! It's all good, times are hard and if you learn how to make your own bags, no need to fork out for 'em but even better TRES UNIQUE! No-one enjoys going out and seeing the chav down the road rocking the same bag, right?? (no offence to any chavs out there!) RSVP by emailing email@example.com so they know what numbers they are dealing with and to ensure a massive welcome :-)
Date: Wednesday 13 January
Time: 7pm - 9pm
Venue: C73, 73 Parkway, Camden, London, NW1 7PP
Don't forget that CutShuffleDeal's FREE clothing exchange finishes THIS FRIDAY! Check my other blog post HERE for details. For more information on CutShuffleDeal visit their bloggage HERE.
See you on Wednesday if you decide to attend the workshop - this is going to be the highlight of my week!
Sunday, 10 January 2010
Have you received any unwanted clothes for Christmas that you feel guilty selling on eBay or returning? Or are you busy doing a New Year cleanup of the clothes you'll never wear again, or the clothes you never wore in the first place? If that's the case, head down to the FREE pop-up clothing exchange, CutShuffleDeal in Camden. Ending on Friday 16 January (that's THIS Friday if you didn't realise!), you simply can rock up with as many clean and complete items as you like, browse the racks of lovely items for exchange and walk out with a new set of items! Sweet! And if you find something that you want but didn't bring enough items to exchange, you can simply purchase them for around £3 or £5 (approx) - all money made in this way will be donated to Greenpeace UK. CutShuffleDeal is all about creating a community spirit with a focus on sustainability - you're basically recycling unwanted clothes so this is not only to satisfy your fashion desires but to help the community too! Kudos! Once you've exchanged your baddies for some goodies, take the time to chill out on the comfy sofas donated by the ReStore Community Projects and have some hot refreshments courtesy of ethical Fairtrade coffee, tea and cocoa producers, CafeDirect.
Photo: browse the racks of goodies and exchange your unwanted items for something new!
Date: On NOW until Friday 16 January
Time: 10am - 6pm
Venue: C73, 73 Parkway, Camden, London, NW1 7PP
For more information on CutShuffleDeal visit their website HERE.
xX Mets Thrifty Xx
Saturday, 9 January 2010
With "very wearable vintage pieces at affordable prices" this is a recessionista/fashionista's dream! I can't wait, this will be my first ever Vintage Fashion Fair and I'm uber-excited; I've done the vintage stores but with a variety of different stalls and sellers in one place (super-convenient), the Vintage Fashion Fair is bound to get my pulses racing! I'm personally on the look out for some fab vintage accessories - hair accessories, bags, jewellery, belts and vintage leather goods! Oooooh it's gonna be so fun trying to find these treasures!
Photo: Vintage Fashion London
I'm going bright and early... who wants to join me?? Entry to the fair is £3 but Vintage Fashion London have limited FREE tickets up for grabs (did you even doubt I wouldn't have some sort of freeness involved?!). Just click HERE to fill out your details and if successful, founder and owner of Vintage Fashion London, Marilyn, will email you a free ticket (+1 guest).
Learn more about Vintage Fashion London - a fab website for vintage fashion - and be in the know about future Vintage Fashion Fairs (it's a monthly affair fashionistas!) by visiting their lovely website www.vintagefashionlondon.co.uk.
Date: Sunday 17th January 2010
Time: 11am - 5pm
Venue: Cecil Sharp House, 2 Regents Park Road, London NW1 7AY
Closest Tube: Camden Town (although it's Sunday so you can park for free & throw your vintage goodies in the boot!)
Jeeez, can't say your No.1 Recessionista doesn't love ya!!! This is one of my fave posts for 2010 so far!
- Tell all your friends about my blog, we gotta share the recessionista tip-offs with the WORLD!!!
- Follow me on Twitter I'm getting a bit obsessed but I'm loving it!
- Subscribe to my blog to stay in the know. Link to the right under SUBSCRIBE!
- Keep supporting my blog! Support has been IMMENSE so keep it up; feel free to drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org just to say heeeeeey and add to my happiness!!
Thursday, 7 January 2010
As promised, I said I'd let you know when Yo Sushi! release their 40% off voucher. Well today they did! Since visiting Japan last year, I have become even more obsessed with sushi & sashimi (I even got brave and tasted fish roe - actually nice - and sea urchins - ewww disgusting!!) but after paying £1 a plate at a typical sushi bar in Tokyo (conveyor belt as standard), coming back to England has made me so reluctant to visit Yo Sushi! as the comparison in price is pretty astounding. And as someone that could eat the fattest person in the world under the table, this means a very pricey bill (not a recessionista's dream). HOWEVER, I am a Yo! Lover through and through and even though times are hard, my Yo Sushi! 40% off voucher will make my recessionista day by meeting up with my fellow Yo! Lover. The 40% off really does make a big difference. We're like 2 fat kids in a sweet shop, sitting there, oggling at the dishes on the belt, waiting for our crunchy prawn sushi, crispy salmon skin, spicy tuna, california roll and of course non-sushi prawn katsu, tempura prawn, prawn yakisoba dishes (basically anything PRAWN, we are prawn fiends) to come around. I LOVE IT!
Really and truly, Yo Sushi! need to give me some sort of loyalty card for every plate I eat when I visit, because I literally eat out the entire conveyor belt!!! Anyway enough about me and all this talk about sushi, I'm making myself dribble!!! Click HERE for your fabulous 40% off voucher! Thanks Yo Sushi! I love ya!!
Validity: Sunday -Thursday, starts Sunday 10th January (don't embarrass yourself), not valid in Sedley Place, Selfridges London, Heathrow T3, Selfridges Trafford Centre, Selfridges Birmingham, Westfield White City or Union Square Aberdeen branches. One voucher per person, unlimited uses on voucher during promotional period. Valid on plates off the conveyor only. 1 voucher per person, unlimited use during promotion. Ends: Thursday 28th January
ENJOY! Mets Thrifty - 2010 and still your No.1 Recessionista! xXx
Wednesday, 6 January 2010
YES!! Finally something other than Italian that I can REALLY enjoy!! This one deserves a post if its own! 50% off the a la carte menu at the Living Room!!!!! If you have never been or heard of the Living Room before, it's a sophisticated restaurant and bar chain serving the best in British and European food with a slight fusion of Asian and global faves. Particular faves of mine are the tempura prawns (of course, I'm a complete LOVER of prawns - prawns 'til I die!!) followed by the 21-day aged British rib-eye steak (yes it doesn't really go together but I'm v.weird like that!) and with 50% off the price is just right too! Other popular dishes include roasted and spatchcocked poussin, roasted organic salmon fillet and ricotta and butternut lasagna. The menu is seasonal and varies depending on venue so you are comforted by the freshest ingredients which go through rigorous testing to ensure excellent quality cuisine.
To be completely honest, for me the food at The Living Room comes second to it's cocktails. This is the real highlight of any visit - although the voucher is not valid on drinks, I encourage you to immerse yourself in the cocktail menu and get involved! There is a never ending variety of freshly made cocktails which can sometimes take ages to arrive (very annoying) but once you sip on one of these babies, you can't stay angry for long. Some of my faves from their Signature Menu include the Singapore Sling, Fire Island Iced Tea and of course the classic Mojito and I love the variety of Daquiri's. Let's not forget about the non-alcohlic concoctions though - Peak Performaner and What's Up Doc are particularly tasty - the fruit and veg is so fresh it tastes as if they were picked that morning! The cocktails alone are worth rocking up to The Living Room's Signature Hour (7 days a week, 5-7pm) to take advantage of reduced priced Signature Cocktails at only £4.95. Sweeeeeet!!!
Visit the link, sign up and print your voucher off HERE
Validity: 7 days a week (yay!) but not valid after 5pm on Friday or Saturday (boo!) Venues: Bristol, Chester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Milton Keynes, Newcastle, Nottingham, Nottingham, Oxford, Yorkand Ends: Sunday 31st January 2010
ENJOY! MT x PS don't forget to check the Fab New Year Restaurant Deals post for plenty of other restaurant deals :-)
Sunday, 3 January 2010
Saturday, 2 January 2010
1. Seizure, 151-189 Harper Road, London, SE1 *Last day Sunday 3rd January 2010*. Art lovers and curious cats alike, if you are wondering what to do on Sunday 3rd January 2010 after all that eating, drinking and partying over the holidays, head to Harper Road early in the morning. No, I'm not sending you a random council flat in Elephant & Castle for the fun of it, I'm sending you to catch one last glimpse of Seizure, Roger Hoirns' most ambitious piece of contemporary art.
"75,000 litres of copper sulphate solution were pumped into the council flat to create a strangely beautiful and somewhat menacing crystalline growth on the walls, floor, ceiling and bath of this abandoned dwelling. [Artangel.org.uk]"Photo: Couri-Mora, London
Nominated for the 2009 Turner Prize and commissioned by Artangel and the Jerwood Charitable Foundation, this is one piece of unique art work worth giving up the chocolates and the TV for. No booking required and best of it, it's absolutely FREE! Sunday 3rd January is the last day so make sure you pop down there bright and early. Opening times 11am - 5pm. (Note: many people have been turned away from 3pm onwards due to the volume of people - you have been warned!) Due to the nature of the artwork, I'd advise wearing very solid soled shoes (so no, not your dainty dolly shoes). For more info on Seizure and Richard Hoirns, visit the Artangel website.
2. Prezzo £10 Menu Voucher, Nationwide. After your arty morning or for those wanting to complete their Christmas holidays in style, head to Prezzo to take advantage of their Starter, Main Course & Drink for £10 (including wine or Peroni for you alchie's). Not bad for a set menu with faves such as [starters] bruschetta, mozarella garlic bread and [mains] margherita pizza, spaghetti bolognese making appearances. Register and print off your voucher HERE. Hurry! This offer ends Sunday 3rd January 2010!
3. 50% off at La Tasca, Nationwide. Italian not your thing? How about some Spanish tapas! Head down to your local La Tasca for a meaty 50% off all main menu food items... YUM! Print off the voucher HERE. This one ends on Monday 4th January 2010 so you better get your tango toes into gear!
4. Pied Piper: A Hip-Hop Revolution, The Barbican Centre, London, EC2Y 8DS. Back in December I told you all to get your hands on a pair of FREE tickets to see Pied Piper. Hopefully you listened and you've either gone or are off to see the production on its last day, Sunday 3rd January. If you didn't, unfortunately you're too late as the show is now SOLD OUT! Lesson: carpe diem, 'seize the day' (and don't lose out!) This was definately a TOP show, the dancing talent was mind-blowing and it was so positive to see the Children of Hamlet were picked from inner London schools following dance workshops and open auditions, the scene where they did their own lil' body popping an dance moves had me feeling all gushy inside :-)
Photo: Robert Day
5. Into the Hoods, Queen Elizabeth Hall (Southbank Centre), London, SE1 8XX. For those wanting to treat the kids, the other half or get together with a group of friends/family and have a feel-good night out, head down to the Elizabth Hall @ Southbank Centre before Sunday 10th January 2010 to watch Into the Hoods. You will find yourself bopping and singing away to the sounds and beats of John Legend, Bassment Jaxx, Kanye West, and Timberland in this urban fairytale. Lil Red dreams of becoming a real singing soulstress a la Mariah Carey (and gets ripped off by her manager, Wolf), Raponzel want to be a bad-ass female MC (Trina/Missy Elliot stylee), Spinderella is the finger talented DJ and Jaxx aspires to be the next Timberland (heaviest beats producer). Sure, the storyline isn't too complex or striking but the amount of work and dedication that has gone into the production is clearly displayed. The dance scenes are flawless and the incorporation of well-known tunes is on point and clearly appreciated by the audience - the cast bowed to a standing ovation - I kid you not! Fave scenes? The old peoples' home getting down with a grandpa doing the booty pop! LOL.
Learn more about the show HERE and book tickets HERE. Prices range from £15 - £27.50 for adults with 50% off for the kids. Top top: rear stalls seats priced at £20 (e.g. KK) have got just as good a view as the more expensive seats closer to the stage (e.g. FF)! Don't miss out - this show will get your 2010 started on a high! BONUS! Get to the Southbank Center at 7pm and you will be treated to [FREE!] entertainment courtesy of London based hip hop crew, 29th Chapter. Performing on the Front Room stage, the crew treat the audience to live peformances of their existing songs and freestyles of random objects in the audiences' bag (from TicTacs to headphones to BodyShop Body Butter!) - great way to pump up the audience and get the evening started.
Photo: Into the Hoods